I think about how music has changed over the years and I think - WOW! It's not music that has actually changed. Technologies, human evolution, and well, okay - music has changed but only because of innovations in technology. One person can perform a symphony of sound with the use of technology. I'd offer examples to support my statements but this is a blog NOT something I have to do because I am only stating my opinion.
I think back on when I played in a symphonic band - the clarinet, saxophone, tympani, horn section, violins, flutes, etc. All of these instruments are now digitized in an electronic keyboard. So, who can say that some music is not digitized.
I think that there is nothing like the real thing baby! Seriously, a musician who uses digital media to create their artistic piece deserves kudos but not because they are using digital media to do it but because of the composition and time it takes to make this artwork.
Yeah, it's early and I am babbling at this point. I will end abruptly because my mind is actually focused on other things at this point. Please understand that the music of today is nothing like the music of yesteryear - a simple instrumental can be so complicated. Think about all the reason we listen to music. What feelings are evoked from that music? Is it the instrumentals of the music that evoke your feeling or is it the lyrics? Is it both? What makes YOU connect on a personal level to a song.
Do you think of the reasons why you listen to a song or are you just listening to noise?
I will tell you why I listen and love music.
1. Silence has always been my nemesis. I cannot sit in silence and think; though, at times I would kill for a minute's peace.
2. To me, A minute's peace is not total silence because can we really achieve total silence in the hub-bub of the day? No, but we can find silence in our head and heart by listening to a song that calms us.
3. Music takes me out of my life, tells me a story about someone else's experience.
4. Music is a reflection of what lies in another person's soul. Yes, even death metal is a reflect of another person's soul. This does not mean their soul is black but that they have the capacity to write and play the music is the reflection.
5. Music is love, hate, sadness, glory, and so I connect on so many emotional levels to an artist's work.
6. Music is math and language arts. Music enhances these skills.
7. Is a starving musician really starving if music be the food of love? Without love, charity, faith and hope - what are we? We are nothing. Therefore music is everything.
This list could go on forever and this is why this blog ends now. Think about all I have said and get back to me. I love music. My favorite quote of all time is "All that is not music is silence" I have no idea where I heard it when I was a teenager but I believe in the words...Music is in the simple things like sound of the wind hitting the trees and causing the leaves. Next time you are alone - sit there and listen to the wind blow - connect with it and HEAR the music.
Tags: Music Love Eunice Crankyponts Art Performing